Maria Santaguida is a PhD candidate and lecturer in the Department of Psychology at Concordia University (Montreal, QC, Canada). She specializes in human sexuality, sexual technology, and substance-related sexual risk behaviours. Her work also explores how space programs can integrate sex research and move toward greater diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. In late 2021, she co-authored a position piece titled The Case for Space Sexology. This article and related work with her esteemed colleagues, led to waves of international media coverage (e.g., CBC, Mic, Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Dailymail UK, Yorokobu, Futurism, and Slice) and is paving the way for the comprehensive scientific study of human sexuality and intimacy in space settings.
“More and more researchers around the globe and people working in the space sector recognize that addressing human intimate and sexual needs in space is one of the keys to unlocking our long-term expansion into the universe”
– Maria Santaguida
As quoted in: Inside The Push to Study Sex in Space on Mic.com
Beyond this, Maria has also done consulting work in the private sector and for various academic-related programs and committees, such as Mentorship Among Psychology Students and the Graduate Instructors and Teaching Assistants Committee at Concordia University. She has received accolades for her leadership and involvement in various initiatives that enhance the quality of the undergraduate and graduate student experience in the Psychology Department at Concordia University.
Maria’s doctoral work investigates the acute effects of alcohol consumption on risky sexual decision-making, as well as subjective and psychophysiological responses to visual sexual stimuli. Her research has been funded by the Fonds de Recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC).
Ph.D. Candidate (Psychology – Research Option, Concordia University)
B.A. (Honours Psychology – Great Distinction, Concordia University)
Academic awards and distinctions
- 2021-2022 Graduate Scholarship in Psychology, Concordia University
- 2018-2021 Doctoral Scholarship Fonds Québécois de la Recherche sur la Société et la Culture (FQRSC)
- 2018-2019 Concordia University’s Faculty of Arts & Science Travel Awards
- 2019 Concordia University’s Council on Student Life Outstanding Contribution Award
- 2017-2019 Concordia University Conference Exposition Awards
- 2016 Graduate Fellowship, Concordia University’s Faculty of Arts and Science
- 2015 Graduate Scholarship, Fonds Québécois de la Recherche sur la Société et la Culture (FQRSC)
- 2014 Joseph-Armand Bombardier Scholarship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- 2014 Special Entrance Award, Concordia University
- 2009-2013 Dean’s List, Concordia University’s Faculty of Arts and Science